Re: kdeprint error - kdeprint_lpd.la

On Sunday, March 02, 2003 03:14 am, Ralf Nolden wrote:
> On Samstag, 1. März 2003 20:44, Josh Metzler wrote:
> > I am running testing, with Ralf's KDE 3.1 stable backport.  I setup my
> > Epson Stylus Photo 820 in the KDE Control Center under Administrator mode
> > for all users to have access to it.  If I try to print as a normal user,
> > though, I get this error:
> >
> > There was an error loading kdeprint_lpd. The diagnostic is:
> > Library files for "kdeprint_lpd.la" not found in paths
> >
> > The printer is connected locally to my parallel port, and printed a test
> > page just fine (as root) when I set it up.
>
> I've got the following files in kdelibs4.install:
>
> debian/tmp/usr/lib/kde3/kdeprint_lpdunix.la
> debian/tmp/usr/lib/kde3/kdeprint_lpdunix.so
> debian/tmp/usr/lib/kde3/kdeprint_lpr.la
> debian/tmp/usr/lib/kde3/kdeprint_lpr.so
> debian/tmp/usr/lib/kde3/kdeprint_rlpr.la
> debian/tmp/usr/lib/kde3/kdeprint_rlpr.so
>
> So there is no kdeprint_lpd.la available nor the according library. Are you
> sure that you correctly upgraded to all stable debs ? Did you try adding a
> new user and setting up the printers for this user again to see how KDE
> behaves if you start with a new user from scratch ?
>
> Ralf
>
> > Thanks in advance for help,
> > Josh
>
> --
> We're not a company, we just produce better code at less costs.
> Ralf Nolden
> nolden@kde.org
>
> The K Desktop Environment       The KDevelop Project
> http://www.kde.org              http://www.kdevelop.org

I made some changes - reinstalled cupsys-client; uninstalled the cupsomatic-db
and installed the foomatic-db printer information files.  Removed the printer
and set it up under Administrator mode again.  Finally, I started up Control
Center as user and selected the Peripherals->Printers.  It again gave me the
above error - it was regularly giving me that error box three times, and then
listing no printers.  For Print system currently used: it listed CUPS, but I
decided it must think I was using lpd - I see no other reason to ask for
kdeprint_lpd.la.  So, I chose CUPS again from the combo box, and ... behold,
my printer is now available to my normal user.

So, it works.  I don't know what fixed it.

Josh