A suggestion: i18n for KOffice

Hello,

 I would like to propose a change to the KOffice packagers to include an
independent i18n package for KOffice.

At the moment translations for the different languages are provided in
kde-i18n-xx packages, according to the main KDE releases. However KDE
releases are not in sync with KOffice releases, because they are independent.
This leads to having the latest KOffice packages for the latest stable branch
but not its corresponding updated translations.

 I can show this with an example; now Ben Burton has released KOffice 1.2, but
the translations for this version are in the HEAD branch and are tagged as
KOFFICE_1_2_RELEASE. However the KOffice 1.2 packages are built for KDE
3.0.3, which I think is __totally__ correct. On the other hand the
translations applied to KOffice come from the KDE_3_0_BRANCH, so that some
applications appear partially translated and others not translated at all,
while the translations are completed in the CVS.

  I propose a solution for this, but I am sorry because it means more work for
the KOffice packager (Ben Burton in this case), it would be to release
koffice-i18n-xx packages, which would be created extracting from the CVS all
messages and documents tagged as KOFFICE_X_Y_RELEASE. And to prevent that the
files with messages and documentation are not overwritten by the kde-i18n-xx
packages, the koffice part of this package should be removed from the
kde-i18n-xx packages.

regards, and many thanks to all Debian packagers for KDE for their work.

Pablo de Vicente
KDE-es translation team.