Re: Root Window

On Friday 02 August 2002 19:56, David Eidson wrote:
> I recall this being an issue back in the KDE 1 days, and it seems to be
> here again.  I don't recall if there was a setting or compile time option
> that corrected it, or if a later release of KDE fixed it.  The problem
> being that some apps that use the root window (xfishtank, xsnow) will not
> show in KDE. The apps run, but 'behind' the KDE screen.  I'm sure this is a
> problem with the way the particular app is written and not KDE, but is
> there a work around in KDE that will let these types of programs run
> correctly?

Well if you are thinking of programs like Xearth or so, just go to the Desktop
Settings vie "Configure Desktop" on Desktop Menu, and in the Background
settings choose under Mode "Background Program", and adjust your settings.
(Settings for XEarth are already there). I have this painlessly running with
XPlanet. But if you want to use tools like xtail, i'm not shure if that can
be done in an easy way.

Daniel