Debian KDE maintainer burnout??? (was: Warning)

On Tue, 31 Dec 2002 02:09, Karolina Lindqvist wrote:
> I updated to latest debian "unstable" level, and my KDE does not work
> anymore. These break-everything debian updates makes me kind of tired
> sometimes.
[...]

On Tue, 31 Dec 2002 05:58, Ralf Nolden wrote:
> Yes. I removed it to avoid further mess. Please be patient, I'm rebuilding
> the branch from today. *sigh*. I'll upload as soon as packages are
> finished.

Ralf, Karolina,

I would just like to publically thank you for the work you have done with the
KDE3 branch and your Debian packages. Your efforts in putting together the
Debian KDE 3 packages has been greatly appreciated by many Debian users who
would otherwise not be able to access the KDE3 environment.

I am a little concerned that you both seem to be trying to maintain the Debian
KDE3 packages with some constraints which other Debian package maintainers do
not have to put up with.  These constraints are even more important given the
size and complexity of KDE3.

While I fully understand the gcc-3.2 issues managing a package suite the size
of KDE3 requires management of a whole lot of issues other than just ABI
compatability. You have both been doing a fantastic job trying to manage
these other issues and the fact that many of us can run Debian KDE3 packages
is testament to your management of these issues.

Some of the Debian resources which are available to other packages, but the
Debian KDE3 packages have been excluded from using include the Bug Tracking
System, the Package tracking system, quality assurance web portal, Package
mirrors, multi-architecture autobuilders as well as the management framework
of having progressively tested distributions through; stable; testing;
unstable and experimental distributions. Also not to mention a distributed
approach to package management though a large number of package maintainers
who can work together on achieving a common release/ software base. (Most
third party KDE3 applications are no longer available as Debian packages.)

With all these Debian resources available management of something as complex
as KDE3 should be possible. However, without full access to the resources of
Debian trying to maintain KDE3 as a single person effort is frustrating and
complex. So again I would like to thank both of you for your efforts in
attempting such a feat.

I have made some suggestions in the past about creating a 'staging ground' for
KDE3 packages (using the experimental distribution).  A place were the full
resources of Debian can be applied to the inclusion and development of a
stable KDE.

KDE 3.0 was released nine months ago, there has been extensive effort expended
in the generation of Debian packages, but all of this effort has been
constrained to preclude the full resources of Debian to the development of
KDE3. The net result has been that KDE2.2 remains the officially supported
version in Debian GNU/Linux.

I for one, and I'm sure there would be many others in the Debian community,
would be happy for either or both of you to become the official Debian
maintainers for KDE.  Goodness knows you have been doing that job in a
defacto capacity for a number of months...

If you get nothing else out this this message, please accept my thanks for
your efforts, but surely as a Debian community we can do better..

Mark