Re: Building debs from CVS

On Sunday 22 December 2002 21:40, Ralf Nolden wrote:
> On Sonntag, 22. Dezember 2002 18:41, Michael Schuerig wrote:

> > So, is it possible, only for the purpose of building, to install
> > packages in some non-standard location where they can be (directed
> > to be) found when building dependend packages?
>
> Set up a system with debootstrap and chroot into it for building. Do
> installing there when needed for building packages. Basically it
> comes down to the following order:
>
> 1. qt-copy
> 2. arts
> 3. kdelibs

Thanks, that seems to work. Almost: kdelibs has a build-dependency on
arts-dev that doesn't seem to exist. Have overriden it and'll see if it
builds.

I have never before used chroot. Are there any docs that explains how to
use it sensibly? What are the good practices of chroot-ing? E.g., in
<buildroot>/var/cache/apt/archives I have created hard links to the
debs in /var/cache/apt/archives, to avoid having to download loads of
packages. Is this sound?

Michael

--
Michael Schuerig                  If at first you don't succeed...
mailto:schuerig@acm.org           try, try again.