Re: Normal users can't login..

Can you log in to a console as a regular user and then run "startx". Maybe this would give some information if it does not work.

Ray

Corey Kovacs wrote:

Ray, thanks for the suggestion, however I looked at that first as I am on a
space deprived system to begin with. Any other ideas?

Corey

Ray Dougharty wrote:

I had a problem once with the same symptoms. My disk space was too low
to allow users to log in.
Root has a certain percentage of disk space reserved for such
situations, to allow you to log in and free up space.
You could run "apt-get clean" to clear out your package cache, if you
don't mind deleting all of the programs that you have downloaded.

Ray

Corey Kovacs wrote:

After upgrading to Karolina's rc5 packages last week, I've had a problem which
is preventing normal users from logging in. Root can login just fine, but if
my normal user id is used, then things pause for roughly 20 seconds, then
ksplash comes up the the "Setting up Interprocess communications" message and
then sits there for another 20-30 seconds, then falls back to the login
screen.  I've watched/checked all the log files that apply, but nothing is
revealed. I'd like to get this resolved soon. Is/has anyone been dealing with
this? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I've even reverted back
to Karolina's qt packages to no avail...

Corey