Re: KPP always dies

Matt Sheffield wrote:
On my Libranet Woody system, KPP will faithfully connect to the Internet but proceeds to disconnect after about 2 seconds.

I am able to connect with Libranet's LPPP app as well as wvdial so there isn't a hardware problem. Can anyone guess what's wrong after looking at the logs? I'm thinking it might be a mistake in my permissions, perhaps?

-SNIP- <
------------------------------------
OK

OK

CONNECT B5/RX:26400/TX:26400/V42BIS

/var/log/ppp.log

Dec 6 02:24:20 mario pppd[5168]: The remote system is required to authenticate itself Dec 6 02:24:20 mario pppd[5168]: but I couldn't find any suitable secret (password) for it to use to do so. Dec 6 02:24:20 mario pppd[5168]: (None of the available passwords would let it use an IP address.)

This is the "key" to your problem. Somewhere in your ppp "options" file there is an entry for "auth". I am not familiar with Libranet, but in Debian Woody it is located in the /etc/ppp/options file. This option requires the remote computer to "authenticate" itself to your computer much the same way your have to "authenticate" via PAP or CHAP to it. This is mainly used when your computer is acting as a "dial-in" PPP server. Most ISPs will NOT do this sort of authentication, hence the hangup.

The bottom line is to get rid of the "auth" by either commenting it out or changing it to "noauth". In the normal Debian PPP setup, this particular option is overided by the "noauth" setting in the /etc/ppp/peers/provider file, which you create with the "pppconfig" program.

I haven't used kppp in several years, but I seem to recall that you had to edit the /etc/ppp/options file per above to make it work. It may have changed since I used it...dunno. Check out "man pppd" and try to figure out just what PPP config files are being used and make the appropriate edits. You might have this listed as an option in your kppp config / setup also... Try adding "noauth" to "Customize pppd arguments" and see what happens...

Cheers,
-Don Spoon-