Re: kde 3 in woody - why so hard

On Thursday 05 December 2002 9:48, Stephen Birch wrote:
> I guess I don't get this.
>
> The advantage of debian over all other distributions is meant to be the
> ease of upgrades. Indeed, it is VERY well done, the apt mechanism is a
> beautiful piece of software engineering.
>
> So how come kde isn't trivial to upgrade?
>
> In my new user naivety, I would have thought you could just add the kde.org
> site to sources.list and apt-update/apt-upgrade.
>
> But I see a number of postings about all kinds of complicated issues.
>
> I gave it a try myself, and ended up with a horrible mess.

You *do* have to follow directions if you are ever going to install unofficial
packages. I've made the same mistake and have paid dearly for it. The
official unofficial Debian-KDE is located at:

http://davidpashley.com/debian-kde/faq.html

An excellent resource for all your KDE on Debian needs.

--
Scott C. Linnenbringer
finger sl at eskimo.com