kpackage 2.2.2-7 problem & work-around
I know everyone is focused on getting KDE 3.X up & running, but I
thought I would pass this along for those of us who are sticking with
KDE 2.2... This problem will probably only affect those few like me who
are using KDE 2.2 and "testing". I know this probably isn't the "best"
or even a "correct" solution, but it got it working for me..
The kpackage 2.2.2-7 app quit working on me a while back, but since I
had switched to using Synaptic as my package manager I let it ride.
Today I decided to look into it a bit and try to figure out what was
wrong. The symptom was that when clicking on the "Package Manager" icon
in the System menu would cause kpackage to try to start, but would then
abort. Manually starting kpackage via a terminal window showed it was
looking for "librpmdb-4.0.3.so" and couldn't find it. A coursory exam
of my system showed the version had been updated in "testing" recently
to "librpmdb-4.0.4.so" along with some other files in the librpm4 and
librpm-dev packages. The correct files are still available in Debian
"stable". Once I corrected this particular complaint, I got another
just like it on another librpmxxxx.so file.
I finally got it working by creating symlinks between the required
"...4.0.3" files in /usr/lib/ and the "...4.0.4" files. I had to create
symlinks for the following:
librpm-4.0.3.so --> librpm-4.0.4.so
librpmbuild-4.0.3.so --> librpmbuild-4.0.4.so
librpmdb-4.0.3.so --> librpmdb-4.0.4.so
librpmio-4.0.3.so --> librpmio-4.0.4.so