Re: [desktop] why kde and gnome's menu situation sucks

On 10/24/2002 10:26 PM, Tim Wheeler at tim@greengibberish.com wrote:

> ====[ On Thursday 24 October 2002 09:18 pm, Luke Seubert wrote: ]====
>> Good point.  This would tend to argue in favor of segregated menus then,
>> with GTK apps showing up when one is using the Gnome desktop, and QT apps
>> showing up when one is in the KDE desktop.  Few newbie type users are
>> likely to install both Gnome and KDE, so the menus should be designed with
>> this in mind.  Do I understand this correctly as your position?
>
> i disagree.  how about kmail and gaim?  these are good and popular
> applications.  i don't think i'm alone in using them.  what about kde and the
> gimp?  these are just the obvious examples that come to mind.

Well, for a user like you, who obviously already knows his way around Linux
desktop apps, I think the "Advanced Menu" option would be the way to go.
This would be a menu somewhat like the present Debian menu, offering the
full array of options, but at the expense of complexity.

But for the newbie Linux user, the goal of Debian Desktop is to present a
really simple, elegant, and ready to go right out of the box GUI with just
the basics, and as little complexity as possible.

Please bear in mind, Desktop Debian does not seek to screw up and
"stupidify" Debian for the technically savvy Debian user.  Such users will
always be able to opt OUT of the Debian Desktop paradigm either during
install, or later having tried DeDe and deciding to ditch it.  We just want
to present a good Desktop for the newbie user, but leave said desktop
strictly optional for the old bulls :-)

Cheers,
Luke Seubert