Re: KDE3 - Debian/experimental distribution proposal (was: yes i am alive ;)

On Saturday 19 October 2002 10:39, Martin Schulze wrote:

Moin Joey,

> Moin Ralf!
>
> Ralf Nolden wrote:
> > well, as much as this would work out, someone has to do the work
> > actually. And regarding the experimental distribution - that brings your
> > work environment to a highly unstable state, not to speak about the
> > packagers having to build the packages on this system.
>
> The experimental distribution is designed for exactly this: Store
> packages that are not yet suitable for unstable.  Packages don't need
> to be uber-unstable to be uploaded to experimental, though.  It could
> also be used as a staging area to store the packages before everything
> is sorted out so they can be uploaded into unstable properly.
Yepp.

> Another advantage of using experimental is that everything would
> already be in the Debian archive: overrides, package names for the
> BTS, files in the pool etc. pp.  This would mean that these packages
> could already use the Debian package infrastructure, even though they
> are not yet part of unstable.  However, I doubt that experimental is
> autobuilt, so it'll require manual attention.
That means more work than putting KDE into unstable I guess.

> This will make it easer to upload all relevant packages into unstable
> afterwards.
Ok.

> This is a completely different story, unfortunately.
Yes, understood. But I have to have a build for woody due to our customer
demand (at credativ where I'm working now). So those builds are made anyway
and are provided at the same time by KDE for woody users. I'm not speaking
about updating KDE in woody.

> If you would like to provide newer KDE packages for woody, which would
> probably be a benefit from a users perspective, you'll need to bypass
> the Debian server.  For this purpose, being able to add a line like
> "deb http://debian.kde.org woody main" to apt.sources, would probably
> the best and most logical solution (or switch the name to
> kde.debian.org/net).
Yes, something like this. We'll have to go through the webserver stuff at KDE
first or just use ftp.kde.org for that.

> Having a native source for additional information, howtos, guidelines
> etc. is always a benefit.  If such documentation is rather static and
> less of a moving target and also dedicated for end-users, it may be
> worth considering the use of www.debian.org.  This will
> "automatically" add translations and is the native source for
> information addressing Debian.
Yay!! I didn't think debian was so developer friendly to KDE stuff :-))

> To conclude and since this mail is already quite long, from a core
> developer's perspective I would like to see:
>
>  1. debian.kde.org or kde.debian.org store more recent packages for
>     woody for those who would like to run a more recent version than
>     the one which is supplied with woody.  This could run on a
>     debian.org host (e.g. klecker) or on a kde.org host, and would be
>     an "unofficial packges source".
Sure. I don't know about Dirk's concerns about the kde webservers, so I guess
that will be easier for everyone.

>  2. In order to provide new packages for the unstable distribution I'd
>     like to see the experimental distribution of Debian used, since
>     this enables using the entire infrastructure of Debian except for
>     the buildds.
Ok. Could you help providing the necessary steps get going so we can upload
packages ?

>  3. Storing additional information on an easy to remember host like
>     debian.kde.org or kde.debian.org is always good.  However, it
>     should probably be decided whether some information would also be
>     suited for www.debian.org.
It sure will be, because we want KDE to be a part of debian, not the other way
around :-))

Have a nice weekend,

Ralf

> Regards,