KDE3-Usage

Hi,

some thanks to the good packaging :D
Installation from testing is a bit difficult, though, and really needs a lot
of packages from unstable, even ones that I would not think of like
cdparanoia and lots of others (although it makes no sense to request version
3a9.8-7 when version 3a9.8-6 is present!).

So there it is, KDE3.0.4. Works great, although at first I cannot see any
advances to KDE2.2.2 at all. The proposed feature that it might load faster
simply does not exist (here). The font handling did not get any better.
Klipper can be on its own in the control bar although it would make more
sense when it simply stays with the system tray.

The Liquid (0.9.5-1) style got a lot worse, though. The translucency is
unusable because it is crippled. The problem is that the menus "unfold" in a
short animation (how can I turn this off?). This creates some kind of
background image instead of the translucency effect.
BTW, are there plans to make X use an alpha channel for such things?
XFree5? ;)
Beside that: it is looking much better than the default style.

An advantage is that sound now also works without starting artsd (I never
did). Interesting but sadly incomplete: noatun does not want to start without
artsd running, so I use xmms. But xmms has still the same problem: I can only
choose between a working dock icon (systen tray) or the "show no window
managers window frame around my window, so that attaching playlist, etc.
works". Still, there is nothing that can be done with kstart to work around
this :(

Kmail now works quite a bit faster on downloading mails :) But on the change
to the new version, the gpg setting got lost - well, it took some work to go
through all the options again.
Kscd works a lot better now, especially the track names display is ot broke
anymore :)

Finally: a thanks to the developers, packagers and the bug hunting
community...

HS

        oder über pgp.net

PingoS - Linux-User helfen Schulen: http://www.pingos.schulnetz.org