Re: apt denies upgrade to KDE3? Help :..(

On Saturday 12 October 2002 18:20, Hendrik Sattler wrote:
> Am Samstag, 12. Oktober 2002 20:21 schrieb Charles de Miramon:
> > It looks like a pinning problem :
> >
> > Try apt-cache policy kmail
> >
> > That will give you the different pin values for your different deb
> > sources. Modify your /etc/apt/preferences file accordingly. It can be a
> > bit tricky, especially that there is no parsing of the preferences file
> > to tell you that you have done some typographical mistakes.
>
> # apt-cache policy kmail
> kmail:
>   Installed: 4:2.2.2-14.1
>   Candidate: 4:2.2.2-14.1
>   Version Table:
>      4:3.0.4-1 0
>         500 http://download.uk.kde.org woody/ Packages
>  *** 4:2.2.2-14.1 0
>         900 http://ftp.de.debian.org testing/main Packages
>         -10 http://ftp.de.debian.org sid/main Packages
>         100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
>      4:2.2.2-14.0woody1 0
>         500 http://security.debian.org woody/updates/main Packages
>
> Is there any way to see, what pinning might be entered for a specific apt
> source? Package pinning to specific packages is not possible, since they
> have nothing common in their names.
> Anything I could enter as archive name (a=), origin name (o=), component
> name (c=) or label (l=) for that KDE3 mirror?

As you can see, kde from download.uk.debian.org is being given a default
pin-priority of 500, so is ignored in favour of testing having a priority of
900 set by apt_preferences.

To resolve this, you need to give download.uk.kde.org a higher priority than
Debian/testing, eg in /etc/apt/preferences add:

Package: *
Pin: origin download.uk.kde.org
Pin-Priority: 925

You can then see from apt-cache policy kmail that kmail 3.0.4 has a higher
priority than 2.2.2 and you should be able to continue installing, using the
instructions on http://www.davidpashley.com/debian-kde/faq.html and
related/linked pages.

Regards,

Paul Cupis