Question about upgrade KDE 3.0.4

I have Woody with a slightly buggy KDE 2.2.2 (sound server crashes). I'd like to upgrade to KDE 3.0.4 in the proper Debian manner, but when I set my sources -- even looking at UNSTABLE, I never see an upgrade for KDE past 2.2.2.

First Question: Does KDE 3.0 really work with Debian (I rather suspect something that hasn't made it into Debian's STABLE source yet).

Second Question: Can anyone tell me how to properly set DSELECT to a valid source? Alternatively, if I have to download and compile myself (usually through the make series or whatever), do I have to do anything else to properly register KDE 3.0 with APT/APT-GET/DSELECT so that I don't find KDE downgraded sometime later?

  - Mike