KDE Can't Start

I use KDE 3.1b2.

I made a mistake last night while trying to fix a problem where KMail would
continually crash after opening.  Even after editing the kmailrc file
(something about the path to openpgp was causing the problem...), I could
not use KMail.  My first thought was to delete the .kderc directory and let
all of the preference files be regenerated.  Wrong idea.

Now KDE can't start at all and complains about missing scripts.  I'm going
to try doing an "update-alternatives --config x-window-manager" after work
today, try using a different window manager, and hope that fixes my problem.

In the meantime, can anyone suggest possible causes of this problem?

Thanks, Bob