Re: Comparing Debian KDE 3.1 Beta 2 packages

Mark Purcell wrote:

Seems like we have a choice now :-)

Has anyone compared the two sets of Debian KDE 3.1 Beta 2 packages?

Ralf's http://download.kde.org/unstable/kde-3.1-beta2/Debian/woody/
These are collective effort of debian-kde developers, but are built from post-beta2 snapshot.
or Karolina's http://shakti.ath.cx/debian/kde3.1-beta2/
These are forked off the ones above. They use different kdelibs packaging, so they are upgrade-incompatible with former.

Apart from the way they are packaged is there any difference between these sets? And that one is built for woody and one for sid.

Are people getting good results on both?
I used first set (i compiled them actually) with good enough results (there are some issues naturally, esp. with noatun/arts and korganizer, probably others). I cannot comment about Karolinas set, i only know they once had problems with .la files but i believe this was solved.

There are chances that the Karolina's way of packaging kdelibs will be used in official debs, but i don't really know. Anyway, first set is what will go into sid when they are complete and when gcc-3.2 transition is over.

Mark

yenar

inetname: Yenar Calentaure
realname: Peter Rockai
    mail: yenar(at)host.sk
homepage: http://yenar.host.sk
The universe is entering maintenance mode in 2 minutes. Please logout.
                                     -- Your administrator