Re: kde3, xinerama, and xfs (x font server)

On Fri, Oct 04, 2002 at 10:06:39AM +0100, David Pashley wrote:
> don't use xfs. seriously. There is no reason these days to run a font server
> if you just have a single machine. AIUI, you can't use XRENDER with font
> servers, so you will be able to get anti-aliased text if you use one of the
> local font renderers.
>
> /me awaits the "you should always use font servers" replies

Not having to fiddle around with font servers (at least with TT fonts)
was one of the coolest things about X4.  The downside (as far as I have
been able to figure) is that you have restart X to take advantage of any
new fonts you might install.

Aside from that, yeah, avoid font servers unless you know why you want
it (sharing fonts over a network).

-rob