re: kde 3 (formerly re: 178 days and counting)

Hi everyone,

Good news.  With a *HUGE* effort from Thomas Schoepf I have finally managed
to get kde 3.0.3 onto my PC.  Thank you very much Thomas for your time,
effort, patience and advice.  Very much appreciated.  I don't know why I had
so much troubles getting it all to work, I rebuilt my debian machine after
my initial posts to totally ensure that kde was not broken.  It all seems to
have worked now.  I'd also like to thank Paul Cupis and Scott (aka scooter)
for their time, help and advice.  I have a few questions about kde but i've
posted them privately to Thomas in light of further enlightenment.

Now I can sit back (well nearly) and play with kde and see what it's like.
I like the look, I have no idea how i'll go with the way things are set up
etc etc.

I do apologise for my outbursts the other day...i'm a rather vocal person at
the best of times.  I'd spent an awful lot of time trying to get kde working
on my own (and also having a mate on irc offer me help here and there,
thanks Diwas) without any success. It just upset me very badly - I was that
worked up about it all I got like 3 hours sleep that nite, having a constant
reoccuring nightmare about kde, with a nice migraine all the next day.
Seriously.  It didn't help that many misread my original posts when I'd said
that i'd already downloaded debs for kde 3 from a ftp site 3 weeks ago
(prior to them being hosted on debian' site).  I was trying to get kde 3 to
work from those debs already downloaded, to avoid having to download it all
again.

Anyways it all appears *fingers crossed* to be working.  I await Thomas'
advice on some minor questions about kde that I had in mind.

Dave