Re: Anti-aliased fonts just broke - how do I fix?

This one time, at band camp, Andreas Schuldei said:
(Sunday 22 September 2002 12:54 am)
> I have LOTS of truetype fonts from my windows box installed. how
> am i supposed to deal with those? now i just called ttmkfdir in
> /var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/TrueType, where i put all
> my fonts now.
>
> Are all ttfonts supposed to be anti-aliased? i regularly break my
> desktop fonts layout when i check the anti-aliased box, restart
> X, notice that there is only one font available making
> everything look funny, uncheck the checkbox, restart X, and find
> all font entries rewritten to use that singel font, still.
> This even happend with ttfonts available, i believe. Do i need to
> do something special to make this work?

If I understand defoma correctly:
* your TT fonts should be in /usr/share/fonts/truetype or some other directory
-- not /var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfonts-conf.d/dirs/TrueType
* you "register" each font with defoma by using defoma-font, see man
defoma-font for info. If you have a bunch of fonts, you can use a "hint file"
* defoma will add symlinks to /var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfonts-conf.d/dir/TrueType
for you and update the various info files like ttmkfdir does.
* the only TT font dir in your various X font paths should be
/var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfonts-conf.d/dirs/TrueType
* anti-aliasing fonts under XFree86 uses the config file XftConfig, not just
the usual Xf86Config-4. You need to have
'dir "/var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfonts-conf.d/dirs/TrueType" ' in your XftConfig
file
* after moving your TT fonts out of /var/lib/defoma... you might need to
reinstall defoma to have it build the symlinks in that directory that it
thinks it build already

HTH,
Warren