re: KDE debs building

On Mon, 16 Sep 2002, Yenar Calentaure wrote:

> Another thing with debs I dislike atm: The package versions are the same all
> the time. Sure, apt-get is smart enough to figure out what changed, but you
> lose overview soon which build you run. I'll bump up version (probably best
> scheme is 3.0.7-cvsYYYYMMDD) at each rebuild, and probably push the patch
> upstream :). Likewise all changes to packaging should bump package version
> (they should be mentioned in debian/changelog).

I'm using:

$ cat debian/rules
#!/usr/bin/make -f
#
# Based on Sample debian/rules file - for GNU Hello (1.3) by Ian Jackson.
#
# See realsync-files/debian/rules for details!

VERSION=${shell date +'%y%m%d%H%M%S'}
package=escher-cvs

[...]

binary-indep:   build
	[...usual stuff...]
        dpkg-gencontrol -isp -v${VERSION} -DPackage=${package}-${VIDEO_DSCR}
        dpkg --build debian/tmp ..
[...]

I suggest a note in README.Debian:

This package represents a daily build from CVS. Upstream changes are not
noted in the changelog

And I'd only mention stuff in the changelog if you really tighten some
Debian specific screw.
*t

         Tomas Pospisek
         http://sourcepole.ch