Fwd: Re: Problem with KDE on woody

Subject: Re: Problem with KDE on woody
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2002 02:19:55 -0700
From: Earl F Hampton <earliii@thegrid.net>
To: Dan Boresjo <dan@paradix.org>

On Saturday 14 September 2002 05:23 am, Dan Boresjo wrote:
> Hi
>
> I recently upgraded my woody install to current and ever since have been
> experiencing problems with logging in.
>
> 1. When first logging in after a boot, the splash screen spend ages on the
> second initialisation stage and also the 'panel' stage. After that the
> screen goes pale grey for ever.
>
> 2. If I ctrl+alt+backspace out of this and try again, the login (usually)
> works. However if later on I log out and try to login again, it always
> hangs on the second initialisation stage. The only way to log back in is
> now to reboot, and go back to stage 1.
>
> Anyone got any idea what might be wrong?
> - Dan

I've had the same problem.

After you logout ctl-alt-f1 and log in as root.
~#ps -A |grep kde
~#killall of what you got
~#/etc/init.d/kdm restart

I've found that there was something always left hanging around and that even
after I killed it I couldn't get back in unless I restarted kdm.

The other symptom that I've found the same thing fixes is when file_save_as
in kde programs isn't working any more or you get a message saying klauncher
can't be reached by dcop.
--
Earl F Hampton
http://hamiii.sytes.net/index.phtml