Problem with KDE on woody

Hi

I recently upgraded my woody install to current and ever since have been
experiencing problems with logging in.

1. When first logging in after a boot, the splash screen spend ages on the
second initialisation stage and also the 'panel' stage. After that the screen
goes pale grey for ever.

2. If I ctrl+alt+backspace out of this and try again, the login (usually)
works. However if later on I log out and try to login again, it always hangs
on the second initialisation stage. The only way to log back in is now to
reboot, and go back to stage 1.

Anyone got any idea what might be wrong?
- Dan