KDM 3.0.3 7 minute startup

I'm trying to help a friend of mine install KDE 3.0.3.  I added the
kde.org apt lines and installed arts, kdebase and kdelibs.  KDM starts
up fine.  However, when he logs in it literally takes about 5 min for
him to see a desktop.  The little splash screen pops up and it gets to
"starting system services" and goes no further.  Then the splash screen
disappears after a couple minutes.  And it sits there looking at the
background image.  And then after a bit more time the desktop comes up.

I can only guess that it's waiting on some device to time out or
something.  I see nothing strange in the .xsession_errors file.  Anyone
have any ideas?

Saadiq