Re: kppp & non root users

On Fri, 2002-09-06 at 07:20, Craig Main wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I need a bit of help here, I am trying to get kppp to work with a normal
> user. The user is a member of dialup and dip. Every time the user dials
> up I get the following output to the console (I started kppp from
> command line):
>
> craig@craig:/usr/share/doc/kppp$ kppp
> Opener: received SetSecret
> Opener: received OpenLock
>
> Opener: received OpenDevice
> Opener: received ExecPPPDaemon
> In parent: pppd pid 2040
> Kernel supports ppp alright.
> Couldn't find interface ppp0: No such device
> Couldn't find interface ppp0: No such device
> It was pppd that died
> pppd exited with return value 19
> Sending 2036 a SIGUSR1
> Opener: received RemoveSecret
> Opener: received RemoveSecret
> Opener: received OpenResolv
> Opener: received OpenResolv
> error opening resolv.conf!
> Opener: received RemoveLock
> Opener: received PPPDExitStatus
> Opener: received OpenSysLog
>
> According to man pppd, exit code 19 is failure to authenticate to peer.
> I have checked the username and passwords and they are correct.
>
> If I run kppp as root with the same settings, it dials up fine without
> problems.
>
> I am convinced it has something to do with permissions, but don't know
> what more to check. I'm running sid & KDE3.
>
> TIA
>
> Craig

I think it has to do with the 'auth' option in the /etc/ppp/options
file.You can test by changing the line to 'noauth'.

# Require the peer to authenticate itself before allowing network
# packets to be sent or received.
# Please do not disable this setting. It is expected to be standard in
# future releases of pppd. Use the call option (see manpage) to disable
# authentication for specific peers.
auth

--
Greg C. Madden