KDE 2.2 hanging on startup

Hello,

Recently KDE (2.2.5 or whatever the latest is in testing) has started hanging in the "initializing system services" phase. I've tried deleting my preferences and reinstalling even to little avail. My .xsession-errors file has written to it at the end something along the lines of:
"KDEInit communcation failure!  Committing suicide!"
(I don't have the exact message as I'm posting this from Windows).

I also noticed that after I Ctrl+Alt+Backspace to close, KDEInit is still running.

What can I do to go about fixing this? Are there other log files I should look at?

Thanks,
Joe Hendrix