Re: Global environment and KDM

Andy Saxena wrote:
> On Wed, May 29, 2002 at 03:48:04PM +0200, Gerrit Einhoff wrote:
>> I've installed the KDE 3.0.1 debs and they're working great. Now I want
>> to set some global environment variables (KDEDIRS, LC_ALL, LANG, ...).
>> I've put them in /etc/environment like I did under KDE 2.2.2.
>> Unfortunately KDM doesn't seem to read this file. The variables are not
>> set.
>>
>> How do I get KDM to read /etc/environment? Or what's the best way to set
>> global environment variables (/etc/profile doesn't work, as KDM is
>> started directly)?
>
> There is no easy way to set this. /etc/environment is a system-wide
> file, so obviously this is not a very good solution. Anyway, what
> specifically are you trying to accomplish? Why do you need these
> variables set?

But I want the variables to be set system-wide. I want to set the local
language with LANG/LC_ALL and I want KDE to recognize my additional KDE-stuff
under /usr/local/kde by setting KDEDIRS.

Hendrik Sattler wrote:
> KDM never read /etc/environment but PAM does, see /etc/pam.d/login.
> And KDM should use PAM.

You're right. And I have the needed line "auth required pam_env.so" in
/etc/pam.d/login. If I login through the console /etc/environment is read and
the variables are set. But if I go through KDM, they're not.

It used to work with KDE 2.2.2/woody, but since I reinstalled woody and KDE
3.0.1 it doesn't work anymore. KDM seems to ingore the login-pam-file. Since
my knowledge of the KDM-configuration is not very profound, I don't know
where to look for the error. Any ideas?

Thanks, Gerrit