Global environment and KDM

Hi,

I've installed the KDE 3.0.1 debs and they're working great. Now I want to set
some global environment variables (KDEDIRS, LC_ALL, LANG, ...). I've put them
in /etc/environment like I did under KDE 2.2.2. Unfortunately KDM doesn't
seem to read this file. The variables are not set.

How do I get KDM to read /etc/environment? Or what's the best way to set
global environment variables (/etc/profile doesn't work, as KDM is started
directly)?

Thanks, Gerrit