Re: Fonts in KDE

> Under Openoffice, I have a plethora of truetype fonts available for
> use.  However, openoffice is the only place they show up.

Yes, when you install truetype fonts for openoffice.org, you have to launch
~/.openoffice/spadmin in order to select the truetype font directory to be
used. Then these fonts are knowned from openoffice, but only from
openoffice.

> Under kword,
> it lists seven fonts: charter bitstream, courier, courier 10 pitch,
> three versions of ludicux, and utopia.  Those same seven fonts are all
> this is available under Control Center/Look and Feel/Fonts, under
> konsole, etc.  Shouldn't KDE be able to use ttf's?  Is there any setting
> that's necessary to make them available?

If you use a use a font server like xfs, you have a section in your
/etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file like :

Section "Files"
    FontPath "unix/:7100"   # local font server
    FontPath "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/misc"
EndSection

You just have to add a new font server named xfstt (truetype font server) :

# apt-get install xfstt

During setup, you have to enter the directory path where truetype fonts are
located.

Now you need to add the following line to the /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file :

Section "Files"
    FontPath "unix/:7101"   # truetype font server
    FontPath "unix/:7100"   # local font server
    FontPath "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/misc"
EndSection

Be sure the xfstt server is running and restart the X server (if you are too
lazy, then reboot the system, but never say you did it ;-)

Under a console, you can query the font server to verify that your truetype
fonts are available by entering :

# fslsfonts -server unix/:7101

Under X, you can query XFree by entering :

# xlsfonts

You are now able to use your favorites truetype fonts under KDE using the
Control Center/Look and Feel/Fonts and probably under all the KDE tools.

Some Windows fonts seem to be used freely... See
http://www.microsoft.com/typography/fontpack/ for more informations. Take
care ! the word "free" can have different meaning when used by Micro$oft !

If you need more info about truetype fonts under Debian/KDE take a look at
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/mini/TT-Debian.html#toc1 (a very good page)

Enjoy it !

Jean-Michel Leclant