Re: KDE freezes on "initializing peripherals"

On Tue, 2002-04-30 at 11:32, Phil Dibowitz wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I've installed KDE on my debian box (via apt-get) and when I fire it up it seems
> to work fine until I it gets to "initializing perihperals" at which point it
> freezes - and takes console with it. Nothing can be done at console.
> ctrl-alt-backspace doesn't kill X, virtual consoles can't be used. I CAN ssh in,
> but killing X doesn't bring back console - the KDE start up screen stays until a
> reboot is done.
>
> Interestingly enough prior to getting to "initializing perihperals" I can use my
> mouse just fine. If I set KDE to startup at boot I can use my mouse and type in
> my password just fine (implying both mouse and keyboard are configured correctly
> in XF86Config) - but after logging in, when it gets to "initializing
> perihperals" it again freezes.
>
> Another note: I can launch X and twm and it works fine - it's just KDE that has
> a problem. The logs aren't very helpful here:

Last time X-windows/KDE startup froze on me I found my fontpaths in
~/XF86Config-4 were configured wrong. I had just loaded Abiword & was
trying to deal with Abiwords fontpath requirements. Fontpath issues can
include anti-aliasing in KDE I think.
--
Greg C. Madden
Debian GNU/Linux 3.0