Re: When will it be ready?

On Mon, 15 Apr 2002 18:43, Eray Ozkural wrote:
> On Monday 15 April 2002 15:41, Russell Coker wrote:
> > To do a really good job of developing Debian packages (and to have a hope
> > of doing a half-decent job of packaging something as complex as KDE) you
> > need to do a lot more.  You need to be able to do serious development on
> > the source (users will send in patches to the BTS and you're not much of
> > a developer if you can't test them before sending them upstream).
>
> I disagree with that. Applying a patch doesn't require any working
> knowledge of programming.

The inevitable result of such actions will be applying patches which fix
things for the needs of one user while breaking things for everyone else.
Someone who sends in a patch as part of a bug report only needs to make it
work for them, the Debian developer is expected to review the patches and
make sure that they don't cause more problems than they solve.

> However, in KDE's case I really don't think you need to go beyond the usual
> configure/build/install routine.

Really?  Ivan and I must have done a damn good job then if it's no longer
necessary to do such things!

When I was doing most of the Debian packaging of KDE I was going way beyond
the configure/build/install routine on a daily basis, and I know I didn't fix
everything.