Re: KDE 3.0rc3 Debs???

On Tuesday 02 Apr 2002 10:38 pm, David Bishop wrote:
> A very *big*, incremental upgrade :-)  KMail's imap is much
> cleaner/faster/stronger.  gpg is much improved, with color-bars,
> point/click key selection (no copy/pasting!), server-side pop filters (so
> you don't have to even download large emails), etc.  Konq's javascript
> rocks the house (see recent /. article :-).  DHTML rendering seems much
> improved, along with normal stuff. It's also tons faster (both to startup
> and browse).  Konsole has some nifty enhancments (you can now rearrange the
> tabs, more/better options for colors, double-clicking for select).
> arts/noatun works on my soundcard with no patches (didn't before), and
> seems to be a lot more stable.
>
> Basically, it's very cool, with only a couple regressions (I know there are
> some, I just can't think of them right now :-), and very much worth the
> wait. Oh, KPilot still sucks B)  But I'm working on that... (actually, you
> interrupted me w/this mail.  I'm almost done with xml-exporting :-).

Agreed, the new Javascript is a great improvement, and I can actually use it
on a day-to-day basis rather than the somewhat bloated Mozilla. My webmail
account at my domain host previously didn't work in Konq 2.2, but it works
great now. :)

I'm not sure that in general there are really enough improvements to actually
be worthy of a change in major release number (from 2.x to 3.x) because it
feels more like a 2.3 release than a 3.0. The KDE 2.2 debs (Woody anyway)
were just as fast in my experience. Unless there is anything you desperately
need in KDE 3, I wouldn't rush madly to upgrade until the debs are made.

Just my opinion anyway. :)

--
Daniel Rees
e: dan@dwrees.co.uk