Users on KDM logon screen

Warning: newbie, please flame gently...  I checked the archives (quickly)
but didn't find this.

Just did a dist-upgrade on unstable and got new "everything", notably KDE
2.2.2.  [Actually KDE broke quite badly, but after several rounds of
--force-overwrite and renaming a number of .dpkg-tmp files, it all settled
down.]

Now KDM's logon screen shows every user from /etc/passwd.  It didn't
before... can something be done to limit it to "real" users ?  I have a
small screen (height = 480) on my Vaio C1VE and the icons push the username,
password, and buttons off the bottom of the screen.