location of kde:s configuration

Hello!

I installed Debian on one of my hard disks and I found it be great, though
the process of installation was difficult compared with SuSE, which I use now
(debian should really have something like sax2 for configuring X)

Anyway, I am moving old my home directory to the new installation, and I was
pretty much under the impression that moving my KDE settings from SuSE's KDE
2.2.2 to the Debian's KDE 2.2.2 could be done by simply copying the
.kde-directory from one place to another. Unfortunately, the KDE on Debian
did not accept the old settings and just wrote over the old ones. But, it
seems, that if you afterwards move single files, like the bookmark.xml, they
get accepted by the reciving KDE.

So my question is, where what are the single files I should move in order to
get my old settings to the new place? The settings I would like to move are
about the menus in my panel, kmail, korganiser, bookmarks in the
filebrowser-side of konqueror and a few more. I know that most of it reside
under the kde/share/apps-directory, but there seem to be also a lot of
unnecessary stuff.
Is there some general rule, like settings are stored only in xml-files..? Why
can't I find a decent explanation of KDE's directory/file-structure on the
net?

-Otto

PS. For some strange reason, the konqueror in Debian's KDE seems to be
significantly faster than the same version on konq. running on the same
computer but under SuSE 7.3. I don't think the difference in the speed of my
harddrives explains that. Congratulations for good trimming!