Re: packaging kde-apps

Am Samstag, 9. März 2002 20:00 schrieb Hendrik Naumann:
> Hi
>
> Now I fetched the latest kdenetwork package to figure our how Chris
> Cheney did them. If found that make install is called with a
> different setting, that would be in my case:
> make DESTDIR=`pwd`/debian/tmp/usr  install
>
> but now the executables went to debian/tmp/usr/usr/bin.
>
> So my questions are:
>
> Is there a more up to date template one can use to debianize the
> source-tarball?
>
> What is the difference of DESTDIR and prefix in the kde-make scheme?

Actually, you need both to build a correct debian package. --prefix
is used during ./configure to tell the make system where the program
is going to be installed. For make install you need to set
DESTDIR='pwd'/debian/PACKAGENAME/usr to install everithing.
This is in fact the directory from which the *.deb is build. The trick is,
that you get a *tar.gz inside the deb with the correct paths of all files
when you run tar from within 'pwd'/debian/PACKAGENAME. When installing
the *.deb the tar.gz is extracted within / so all files end up in the
directorys you configured with --prefix in the beginning. Does this help
a bit?

Olaf