Re: AA for KDE?

On Sun, Mar 10, 2002 at 06:49:10PM +0000, John Gay wrote:
> I created the font with pfaedit and generated  both PS type 1 and truetype
> fonts, I.E. Michiegan.ttf and Michiegan.pfa
>
> I have not tried to install other fonts before, so I am new to this. I'm not
> even sure the font IS good?

Do you have a random windows machine to install it on, and see if it
works over there?  I think in windows it's a simple matter of copying it
to the "fonts" directory (somewhere in c:\windows).  I'm afraid that's
the best "test" I can come up with.

> xfontsel does not see the font, and I've tried  using mkfontdir and other
> tools to get the font reconised, but it's still no good.
>
> I've had a look through /etc. There is /etc/X11R6/Xftconfig,
>
> <QUOTE>
> johngay@debian:~$ cat /etc/X11/XftConfig
> # $XFree86: xc/lib/Xft/XftConfig.cpp,v 1.8 2001/11/21 23:41:12 keithp Exp $
>
> dir "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1"

I think this might be the source of your woes.  Add another line,
pointing to the directory containing your tt fonts.

>  I can't attach the font because kmail crashes when I try to attach
> something, but that's another story.

Well, if this doesn't work then we'll have to work out another way for
you to get it to me.

But it's either a bad font (trying in windows will tell you that) or
your xft is misconfigured (and that edit will fix that).  I think we're
making progress :-)

HAND!

D.A.Bishop