Re: AA for KDE?

On Sunday 10 March 2002 05:55, tech@bishop.dhs.org wrote:

> > I put the ttf font into /usr//X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TTF along with the
> > other fonts, and even did update-fonts-dir, but I still don't have my
> > daughters new fonts?
> >
> > I know Debian has some special tools for working with fonts. deforma and
> > dfontmgr, but these only seem to work with existing Debian-installed
> > fonts.
> >
> > What else am I missing?
>
> *Where* don't you have the new font? Did you look using xfontsel?  I
> ask, because a recurring bug seems to be that KDE will not see ttf fonts
> while using bitmap, and vise versa, etc, etc.  This is made worse when
> using AA.  However, if X can't see it, something is wrong...  Have you
> installed fonts on this machine before? Do other fonts that you download
> off the web work?  What's your /etc/xf
> t.config look like (that is not the
> real filename, however I'm in winblows and can't check, just search for
> something with a name that looks like that).  And is there some font
> validator that you can use to make sure your font is "correct"?  I ask
> in all sincerity, since I haven't used such a tool, but think it would
> be cool if it exists :-)

I created the font with pfaedit and generated  both PS type 1 and truetype
fonts, I.E. Michiegan.ttf and Michiegan.pfa

I have not tried to install other fonts before, so I am new to this. I'm not
even sure the font IS good?

xfontsel does not see the font, and I've tried  using mkfontdir and other
tools to get the font reconised, but it's still no good.

I've had a look through /etc. There is /etc/X11R6/Xftconfig,

<QUOTE>
johngay@debian:~$ cat /etc/X11/XftConfig
# $XFree86: xc/lib/Xft/XftConfig.cpp,v 1.8 2001/11/21 23:41:12 keithp Exp $

dir "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1"

#
# alias 'fixed' for 'mono'
#
match any family == "fixed"             edit family =+ "mono";

#
# Check users config file
#
includeif       "~/.xftconfig"

#
# Use Luxi fonts for default faces
#
match any family == "serif"             edit family += "Luxi Serif";
match any family == "sans"              edit family += "Luxi Sans";
match any family == "mono"              edit family += "Luxi Mono";

#
# Alias between XLFD families and font file family name, prefer local
# fonts
#
match any family == "charter"           edit family += "bitstream charter";
match any family == "bitstream charter" edit family =+ "charter";

#
# Alias older name for Luxi fonts
#
match any family == "LuciduxSerif" edit family += "Luxi
Serif";
match any family == "Lucidux Serif" edit family += "Luxi Serif";

match any family == "LuciduxSans" edit family += "Luxi Sans";
match any family == "Lucidux Sans" edit family += "Luxi
Sans";

match any family == "LuciduxMono" edit family += "Luxi Mono";
match any family == "Lucidux Mono" edit family += "Luxi
Mono";
johngay@debian:~$
</QUOTE>
 I can't attach the font because kmail crashes when I try to attach
something, but that's another story.

> Well, that should give you a good place to start, and if all that is
> fruitless, the info you dig up should give *me* a good place to start

I hope some of this is helpfull.
> :-)
>
> Have a wonderful night!

Cheers,