KDE 2.2.2 unable to view JPG, PNG

Hello all,

I'm running KDE 2.2.2 built from source on a potato system.  When I
compiled the packages, during the ./configure part I'd see the following:

checking for libpng... no
checking for libjpeg6b... no
checking for libjpeg... -ljpeg

I am unable to view .JPG or .PNG files, not as wallpaper, nor in preview
windows, etc.  Applications that view .JPG or .PNG files (gimp,
Netscape) work just fine.

I'm obviously missing what appear to be PNG and JPEG related libraries.
Any advice on where to read or where to go to find the libraries would be
much appreciated.  I have installed the .debs for libpng2 1.0.5-1,
libpng0g 0.96.5, libpng0 0.96-5, libpng0g-dev 0.96-5, libpng2-dev 1.0.5-1,
libpng0-altdev..... essentially every package that had libjpeg or libpng
in the name, I've installed.  I'm aware that all of these are from the
potato distribution, but I'm really hesitant to go to woody as the last
time I tried that I ended up with a system that I couldn't log into.

Any thoughts?

TIA.

--
Chris Goodwin