Re: Athlon optimized KDE build

On Thu, Feb 28, 2002 at 09:47:05AM +0100, Magnus von Koeller wrote:
> On Thursday 28 February 2002 09:18, Kyle Gordon wrote:
> > As a newcomer to this list, I'd be interested to know if you have
> > always been this arrogant, unhelpful and self-centered.
>
> Well, as a matter of fact, it was Eray that was arrogant in the first
> place. Let's quote his mail:
>
> > Nobody asks for your support Daniel. I don't need support
> > specifically from you. As a matter of fact, I have not and will not
> > require any form of help from someone like you, especially for a
> > trivial task like this. Thank you.
>
> And that was in response to "I will not provide any form of support
> whatsoever for these packages." which is just a statement of fact and
> nothing else.

Thankyou. I was just about to tag the other two and reply to them until
I read this mail, and realised that it said about everything that I
wanted to say. I don't really have any issues with Eray, apart from
purely technical disagreements on semantics, but he was a flat-out prick
me off and got the response that he IMHO deserved. I'd deliver that to
him IRL, and I'd deliver that to a day when I *wasn't* feeling like
utter shit.

> Additionally, these build are really nothing you _ever_ want to
> install. If you need an optimized version, pull the source packages,
> change the debian/rules file, add the appropriate compiler switches
> and compile them yourself. That way you'll get a _much_ cleaner
> installation that makes much more sense, is integrated with debian
> packaging, etc., etc. AND you can actually optimize for Athlon, i686
> or whatever CPU you really have and don't rely on Eray's choice of K6
> - which certainly isn't the perfect choice if you have an Athlon or
> any other recent CPU.

Yes, I agree with this completely.

> Still, Daniel - you've been insulting. Too insulting. Cool down.

Bad 24 hours. Very bad 24 hours.

--
Daniel Stone						    <daniel@sfarc.net>
<Joy> BTW, guys, imagine you were newbies ;) and read www.debian.org/distrib/