Re: What's best quick fix for broken kde metapackage?

On Thursday 21 Feb 2002 7:32 am, tluxt2@yahoo.com wrote:

> --- Chris Cheney <ccheney@cheney.cx> wrote:
> > metapackage will be the last thing I fix since it depends on every other
> > package.
>
> OK.  So, approximately when (# days) do you think that might be done?

You are either very enthusiastic or very impatient. I suspect the former ;-)
How about, when its ready ?

> Are you saying that _you_ will put those on hold,
> or that persons doing an upgrade on their Sid systems should put those
> packages on hold?
>
> I suspect you mean the former.  But, if you mean the latter, how does one
> do that?

He does. In dselect, highlight the package in question, hit the = key. If you
hit [v] to toggle verbose display on, in the column "marked for" you should
see "hold".

You know, I dont wish to sound condescending or in any way dampen your
enthusiasm for debian ( which is obvious and admirable ), but if you don't
understand the basics of package management what are you doing running sid ?
What are you going to do when one day you turn your box on and lo and behold
you can't even login ? Make some time to learn this stuff *before* you get
burned. Hope you take that in the friendly spirit it was given :-)

Chris thanks for the warning ...and the packages :-)  Might I suggest that
you reiterate this warning in a seperate post with a suitably loud subject
line ?

Thanks
Simon Hepburn