Re: Distibutions (was KDE Debian distribution)

On Wed, Feb 20, 2002 at 10:33:21AM -0300, Michel Loos wrote:
> > Two things need to be done:
> >
> > 	A) Preloading. Persuade Dell or Compaq to load Linux on *ALL*
> > 	machines (and sell Windows as an optional upgrade).
> >
> That helps for business machines.

It helps for everyone. Not only Dell and Compaq, but also companies like
Staples, Walmart, MediaMarkt and whatever should preload Linux on their
computers, and offer Windows as an optional upgrade.

> > 	B) Games. Kids had absolutely no problems spending WEEKS trying
> > 	to customize CONFIG.SYS, installing new memory managers, hacking
> > 	their system to get more free RAM, just for DOOM to be 0.2%
> > 	faster.  They will become the ultimate Linux cracks if the goal
> > 	is there. You just can't impress a 13-old with an ultra-fast and
> > 	stable Apache.
> 100% correct. Apple lost the Macintosh-PC war because most of the
> games running on "serious" machines (that was the time where there
> were a lot of 8bit home computers + the Amiga as pure diversion
> computers) came out on PC before (if ever) on Mac.

The point with games is that you can "see"/"feel" the performance of
your machine, or rather your 3D graphics hardware.

> When Games will be put on the market at the same timeon Linux and
> Windows. Linux will win, because in addition it is more "serious".

Yes, but companies aren't really interested in this. Loki went bankrupt,
because even many Linux users are still using Windows for gaming. And
most companies are having a hard time on Windows as well, so they just
don't have the resources to switch.

Plus, Microsoft has started a really big FUD campaign about the GPL,
which makes many vendors uneasy. At the same time they put stuff like
"we have a right to know what is on your harddisk" in the EULA, and
nobody seems to notice ...

--
mfg, Jens Benecke  /// www.hitchhikers.de, www.linuxfaq.de, www.linux.ms
This mail is an attachment? Read http://www.jensbenecke.de/misc/outlook.html

V: Epson Stylus Color 600, 1440dpi, inkl. 4F+4SW-Patronen
V: MP3-Discman, spielt MP3-CDs und CDA
V: 8/40x TEAC SCSI CD-Writer, kann Überlänge