Alien/RPM keeps trying to kill KDE. Help?

Okay, there's a software package out there which is being tracked by
Debian, but only very slowly.  Some random guy built RPMs for it, so I
thought I'd grab them, and then use either 'rpm' or 'alien' to put the
package onto my testing/unstable machine.

Grief...

    - alien wants rpm (and so do I, so it's not really alien's fault)

    - rpm depends on librpm4

BUT

    - librpm4 conflicts with librpm0, and

    - something called "kpackage" depends on librpm0

I don't use kpackage, but I can't remove it, because

    - kde depends on kpackage

So anytime I try to do anything with 'rpm' dselect/apt-get attempts to
remove the entire KDE suite.

Maybe a bug should be filed against KDE?  Why does it depend on kpackage?

I'm not subscribed to either of these lists, so please cc me on any replies.
Phil