Why did I suggest /usr/lib/kde3 or /opt/kde3? (Re: What are Chris and Daniel actually going to do now?)

On Thursday 17 January 2002 00:54, Oliver Johns wrote:
> On Fri Dec 14, 2001 Ivan E. Moore II wrote:
> > With kde3 my current (and yet truely tested) approach for file layout is
> > pretty much everything under /usr/share/kde /usr/lib/kde
> > (and /usr/lib/kde3 for the modules) /etc/kde.
>
> Any chance that Chris and Daniel will hold to that?

I think my suggestion needs some clarification. What was the motivation for
that?

The reason is that Ivan's yet untested approach will not work well when users
want to install KDE2 and KDE3 at the same time.

In my approach, you can choose among KDE2 or KDE3 to your heart's content.
Note that the only file conflicts will *not* happen among libraries, which is
why you should install in a KDE prefix other than /usr. There are many files
that conflict, from the ground up. And there is no easy solution except
implementing my proposed approach.

For keeping multiple versions of KDE, as agreed on by hackers on #kde
(including the knows-it-all noatun developer Charles[*]), you need to install
them to a specific location other than /usr. That simple.

My suggestion clearly targets that. If we had only one major version of KDE
at a time (which will never be the case), then there would be no need for
such a change. When we have final KDE3 release, there will be a guess what: a
development version which will bring the same problems over again.

As of now, the decision primarily interests Chris.

I ought to summarize my suggestion again:

Make a /usr/lib/kde3 hierarchy.

Under this hierarchy, move directories that do not belong there (according to
the policy) to their appropriate locations, and symlink them in /usr/lib/kde3.

/usr/lib/kde3/include -> /usr/include/kde3
/usr/lib/kde3/share -> /usr/share/kde3

(install manual pages to their correct locations)

Add /usr/lib/kde3 to /etc/ld.so.conf

That's all that is needed!!!!!

Make all this with a very simple build script, and include that script in a
generic debian kde package as before.

Also, the proposed change does not affect any KDE2 user in anyway as it
stands, so please don't be confused by what's being discussed.

Regards,

[*] I mean it, Charles is one guy who has wisdom.

- --
Eray Ozkural (exa) <erayo@cs.bilkent.edu.tr>