Re: Interpreting FHS

On Wednesday 16. Januaryta 2002 20:27, Eray Ozkural (exa) wrote:
> On Wednesday 16 January 2002 17:41, Hendrik Sattler wrote:
> > The problem: where to install libs that come with the package and other
> > might refer to? How to search for installed programs by looking at one
> > direcory (without masses of symlinks)? How to have one nice dir for
> > configuration files instead of searching, where there might be any?
>
> These issues are already addressed by FHS. Read it. The people who wrote it
> are not imbecile.
>
> Grow some trust in a practice that's being repeated for more than a decade
> in other UNIX systems.

His (very constructive) critique was aimed at *my* possibly imbecile idea of
reorganizing the file system, not at FHS.

That said, FHS hardly is, if I have understood correctly, "the optimal
solution" for anything but rather an educated tradeoff between usefulness and
compatibility with existing UNIX systems. People generally present crique
because they want things to improve, not because they want to prove that
someone is imbecile. KDE indeed *is* a very large system and if many people
feel that FHS or Debian policy are not up to date for desktop usage, those
issues should be seriously discussed, IMHO.

- Jarno