Re: Fwd: Re: KDE filesystem structure + metadata

On Wed, Jan 16, 2002 at 12:17:45AM +0100, Hendrik Sattler wrote:

> > ReiserFS-4 (see www.namesys.com) will get database capabilities and
> > metadata features in the file system, so apart from the "standard"
> > metadata attributes like thumbnail icons, comments ("downloaded
> > from...", "last owner", "Author", ...), flags ("Important", "urgent",
> > "Secret", see MacOS) and so on it will be able to store package
> > information with the files AND quickly search for those criteria.
> >
> > (...)
> >
> > If they do it right (and I'm following the discussion closely because I
> > *want* it done right) this might very well revolutionize package
> > management, apart from revolutionizing many other features ("where is
> > that file I downloaded from this website whose title went something
> > like "WaReZ d0wnl0adz"?).

> Just like acl for ext2 with the same problem. All tools like and whatever
> will not work with this, at least not without lots of patching and
> probably breaking compatibility.  But sounds like a cool but mainly
> unused feature.

Quite a number of developers, e.g. from KDE, have already announced
interest in this feature and want to use in in the desktop. The first
applications are (relatively) simple things like saving persistent
thumbnails, saving additional file info ("Downloaded from..." etc), and so
on.

As I said, if they do it right (and set a standard), others will follow.

--
mfg, Jens Benecke
http://www.jensbenecke.de/ - Persönliches

Politics is like a septic tank - all the big shits float to the top.