Re: Current state of KDE now?

On Monday 14 January 2002 01:57 am, Daniel Stone wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 14, 2002 at 12:51:34AM +0000, John Gay wrote:
> > but I know of no cleaner way to install these. I thought the
> > whole reason for meta-packages like kde was to allow a simple way
> > to update a large group of related packages. Has the kde
> > meta-package been overlooked or have I missed the point
> > completely?
>
> The whole point of the kde{,-extras,etc} metapackages was to allow
> you to *install* a large group of related packages easily. If it
> was to *update* a large group of related packages easily, we'd have
> to install a new meta-kde every time we changed a KDE package.
> Icky.

I also had thought the meta-packages would be for updating as well.
How would I update kde other than apt-get install kde? I understand
your point about bumping the package number on the meta-package too
much, but it would seem that trying to update a meta-package would
just check the build numbers of all related packages, and update as
needed. A meta-package would only get its build number bumped when a
"sub-meta-package" was added or deleted, not versioned.

>From your response, though, I expect that meta-packages aren't
designed that way.

Frank