Re: The png fiasco, libqt2, and GNOME

On Mon, Jan 07, 2002 at 11:17:59AM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
(apologies for the delay, this got lost in the mists of time)
> On Mon, Jan 07, 2002 at 11:54:30AM +1100, Daniel Stone wrote:
> > > I would suggest that the consensus opinion of the last week is that
> > > the partial upgrade breakage for the libqt & KDE packages was a problem.
> > > I am only concerned about avoiding the same problem occurring when
> > > the packages trickle into TESTING, one by one.
>
> The real problem is that partial upgrades are a supported feature of
> Debian: if you update libqt but don't update some old .debs (from a few
> months ago in testing, from RevKrusty's external potato KDE archives,
> whatever) and stuff doesn't work, that's a serious bug. These things
> have to be fully expressed with dependencies.

Yes.

> > So let them trickle in over a couple of days; what's the harm? There's
> > no bug in any of the packages;
>
> You may not think it's your fault, but if the packages don't work there's
> definitely a bug. From what I've seen described there are only three ways of
> fixing it:
>
> 	* revert qt and everything that's rebuilt to libpng2, and worry
> 	  about it later

This is the course of action we're taking. libqt2 will be built with
libpng2, libqt3 will be built with libpng3. All the packages built
against libpng3 will need to be rebuilt against libpng2 and uploaded.
This is currently taking place; staggered at neuro's request. kdelibs
went in yesterday, kdebase is going in today, and the others (I believe
it's kdemultimedia plus a couple of miscellaneous apps) will go in
either the day after or the day after *that*.

> Ignoring the problem ("Oh, everyone just recompile, and we'll pretend
> nothing happened, and not worry about users whose systems break when they
> `apt-get install' something") is an option, but it's not a good one.

Where did I say this?

--
Daniel Stone						    <daniel@sfarc.net>
* yath seeks precious knowledge