Re: "Save Link as..." in ftp-mode

On Mon, Oct 29, 2001 at 12:57:17PM +0100, Frank Mehnert wrote:
> On Saturday 20 October 2001 00:49, Jens Benecke wrote:
>
> > > in the same way as in ftp mode: Following a link, going up one
> > > directory and so on.
> > FTP is basically a 'stripped down shell' which allows data transfers.
> > HTTP is a protocol that only allows single document retrievals. You
> > cannot do a 'ls -l' in HTTP.  FTP is displayed just like a local disk,
> > or any disk. "Save as..." doesn't really make sense here, just like it
> > doesn't make sense  when you read a CD-ROM or floppy. What _does_ make
> > sense is "copy", "move", etc.
> I can't agree with that. In my opinion, the konqueror creates an
> _unified_ view of different protocols. I don't care about if the

In my opinion, this 'unified' view should not be stressed to the point
where it becomes ridiculous. If you want 'Save as ...' and you want to keep
your unified view principle, it must be available everywhere, even on local
disks where it doesn't make sense at all.

I prefer when applications show me the options that make sense. In theory,
Konqueror can do pop3://user:pass@server/ and so on. But almost nobody uses
this view directly. Why? Because it doesn't make sense to see your mail
like a file hierarchy. You want threads, sort by sender, etc. Mails aren't
organized that way on the server and this cannot be duplicated usefully
within Konqueror.

> underlaying protocol is ftp or http. What I want is a "Save as..."
> function. Maybe it is needless on local disks, however, I'm tired to
> "copy / goto home / paste".

Congratulations, you've just found out why just about every file manager
application worth its salt consists of _two_ windows - be it Explorer,
Norton Commander, or whatever. ;)

--
Jens Benecke ········ http://www.hitchhikers.de/ - Europas Mitfahrzentrale
   · . ·