Re: Kwork/Koffice

On Wed, 24 Oct 2001, Tom Allison wrote:

> Current:
> Under the Woody/Testing version of Debian I have Kword 1.1 (pre-beta2)
> on KDE 2.1.2.

You should most definitely upgrade to KDE 2.2.1 and KOffice 1.1 in that
case.

> I'm looking for experiences with Kword and it's ability to perform on
> large papers.  Feature-wise, I have never managed to migrate past what

I've used KWord to write short papers (a few pages, with embedded
objects). Towards the end of this year, I'm planning to use KWord for some
very substantial documents of 20+ pages.

> Also -- Spelling?  Is it reasonably mature?  I heard some bad things

Kword uses ispell, and the dictionairy also produces sensbile suggestions
for me. There is no thesauraus, or grammar checker yet though.

> about Star Office so I won't introduce her to that one.

I have used Star Office 5.2 for substantial documents (30+ pages) in the
past, including colours, fonts, tables, etc. It worked OK, as long as its
may eccentricities and idiosyncracies don't bother you massively.

--
Cheers, Chris Howells -- chris@chrishowells.co.uk, howells@kde.org
Web: http://chrishowells.co.uk, PGP key: http://chrishowells.co.uk/pgp.txt