Re: Upgrade to Woody, Sucess!

On Tue, Oct 23, 2001 at 06:16:54PM -0500, Donald R. Spoon wrote:
> John Gay wrote:
> >
> > The only other problem I have is no sound. I can su to root in a
> > terminal and play midi files with timidity, so it's obviously just a
> > simple config problem like not being in the audio group or some such
> > but this is minor.
>
> That is EXACTLY the problem...Woody doesn't come this way "out of the
> box".  You have to add all your users to the audio group and then do..
> There is something "fishy" about the cdrom permissions too.  I could not
> play audio CDs as a user, again because of a permissions problem.  The
> problem seems to be on the actual device  itself (/dev/hdc) rather th..

Hi,

just add your 'power' users to the cdrom, floppy, audio, video, etc. groups
or use the PAM module that does this automagically for local (and local
ONLY) users. See /etc/pam.d/login and /etc/security/group.conf.

--
Jens Benecke ········ http://www.hitchhikers.de/ - Europas Mitfahrzentrale

Crypto regulations will only hinder criminals who obey the law.