Re: apt 0.5.4: preferences file

Jens, Thanks for the ideas. In fact, today, I did a Google search on
``/etc/apt/preferences" and got many of the same results. My
German is not as good as my Scandinavian languages (I did post-
graduate study in Sweden and later married a Norwegian-American
whom I met while she was majoring in Scandinavian studies) so I
read the articles in English, French and Danish before venturing
into the German.

The other problem was that the Google results suggested that the
apt_preferences system appears to have taken the developers
some time to debug. There were a lot of ``unintended
consequences" during the process. More recently, a number of
user messages picked up by the Google search seem to have had
trouble understanding the process. I am not surprised. I did too.

The following appears to accomplish exactly what I am looking for --
namely to update packages downloaded from testing with testing
updates and to update packages downloaded from unstable with
unstable updates but not to transfer anything from testing to
unstable without explicit user intervention.

Package: *
Pin: release a=testing
Pin-Priority: 777

Package: *